With transfer fees already rocketing even back as far as 2006 maybe this is the way forward for football? Romania defender Marius Cioara was transferred for 15kg of sausages between Romanian Fourth Division teams UT Arad & Regal Hornia, to make matters worse after get fed up with too many sausage related jokes he retired from football the very next day and became a farmer in Spain! UT Arad demanded their sausages back and left Regal Hornia without meals for their team for the day.....
Meanwhile back in 2002 Norwegian striker Kenneth Kristensen was sold by league rivals Vindbjart to Floey for his own weight in shrimps!Although maybe not food related it is sometimes the norm in this country when a non league player signs onto a league team, Ian Wright went from Greenwich Borough to Crystal Palace for a set of weights, while tracksuits or kits seem to be the main form of currency with Zat Knight, Tony Cascarino, Gary Pallister & John Barnes all being exchanged for some kits, ball and netting!
Thank you & good Knighton
- Other "you couldn't make it up" moments came courtesy of (amongst others) mad Chelsea owner Ken Bates who introduced electric fencing to Stamford Bridge back in 1985 after it's success on his farm controlling his cattle, the planned move was rejected by the GLC and the Bradford City stadium fire finally put paid to Bates crazy plans.
- During the World Cup of 1930 with the USA team being roughed up by the Argentinians during one game, the American trainer ran onto the pitch to have a go at the ref, throwing his medical bag to the floor so hard that it broke open a bottle of chloroform and knocked him spark out!
- Leroy Rosenior surely became the shortest serving manager in English Football when he took over at Torquay Utd in 2007, he lasted all of 10 minutes, the club was on the verge of a take over at the time and with the new owners in place their chose instead to go for Paul Buckle as the Gaffer!
- Back in the '70s of a Saturday Evening we'd settle down to watch highlights of the day's First Division football with the help of long chinned pundit Jimmy Hill, but during one game at which the ex-Coventry chairman was a mere spectator the linesman was unable to take his flag due to a calf injury, with this being before the advent of fourth officials the call went out for a qualified referee. Up stepped Hill who after changing into a track suit proceeded to run the line for the whole game! Imagine Andy Gray or Alan Hansen doing that......
- The geordie joker Gazza's infamous antics included, arriving at a Hampstead Pub an hour after playing for England still dressed in full kit ( including boots). Booking a series of sun bed sessions for black Newcastle team mate Tony Cunningham. During Italia '90 he was often found playing tennis out in the scorching midday sun, once got on a double decker bus in London asked the driver if he could have a go & promptly drove it down Oxford Street while still full of passengers and finally while an apprentice at Newcastle Utd took home Kevin Keegan's boots to show his mates & ended up losing them on the underground!
I hope you like that way that I've not included in the above the facts that both Micheal Ricketts & David NugentNugent even scored! See I said the truth is stranger than fiction!
What would your most insane footballing moment be? Have you been caught out by any football related pranks? Let's us know! and with the footballing world becoming more and more bizarre as the weeks go by, be sure to keep up with us on Facebook, Twitter and here on our blog with all the news made up or otherwise.......